Online Dictionaries, Dictionary Portals and their Users
COST ENeL WG1 meeting (organized with WG3)
Barcelona, Spain, 31 March – 1 April 2016
The fifth ENeL meeting was held in Barcelona. The topic of this meeting was Online Dictionaries, Dictionary Portals and their Users. This was be a joint meeting of WG1 and WG3 on March 31st 2016. The survey that you were kindly invited to complete already showed a wide interest in the topic in our community. The results of the survey were presented at the meeting.
Agenda for the WG1 meeting on April 1 is available below.
|Welcome to WG1 & WG3 meeting|
Chair: Simon Krek
|9.15-10.00||Presentation of the results of the Survey on Online Dictionaries, Dictionary Portals and their Users|
(Carole Tiberius & Bob Boelhouwer)
|10.00-10.30||User studies, user behaviour and user involvement – evidence and experience form the Danish Dictionary|
(Henrik Lorentzen & Lars Trap-Jensen)
|10.30-11.00||The ISLEX Web Dictionary and the Analysis of its Use|
(Thórdis Úlfarsdóttir & Halldóra Jónsdottir)
|11.00-11.30||— coffee break —|
|Contexts of Use|
Chair: Carlos Valcárcel Riveiro
|11.30-12.00||Identifying dictionary needs of language users by analysing user-generated content in digital media|
(Špela Arhar Holdt, Jaka Čibej, Ana Zwitter Vitez, Polona Gantar, Vojko Gorjanc)
|12.00-12.20||Dictionary Use and Historical Text Research. A Fourteenth-Century Middle Dutch Play of Winter and Summer as a Test Case (“een abel spel vanden winter ende vanden somer”)|
|12.20-12.40||The context of use of e-dictionaries for the minority languages of Italy (case study)|
(Carlo Zoli & Silvia Randaccio)
|12.40-13.00||Things to think about when building a dictionary website|
(Michal Boleslav Měchura)
|13.00-14.15||— Lunch —|
Chair: Andrea Abel
|14.15-14.45||Portlex and its users|
(Carlos Valcárcel-Riveiro & Mª José Domínguez Vazquez)
|14.45-15.05||Lexicography without lexicographers: Crowdsourcing and the compilation of a Multilingual Dictionary|
|15.05-15.25||Social networks in monolingual lexicography Interaction between lexicographers and users|
|15.25-15.45||User contributions in the Online Dutch-Frisian Dictionary|
(Pieter Duijff, Frits van der Kuip, Hindrik Sijens & Willem Visser)
Managing indirect user contributions for the DWDS project
(Alexander Geyken & Frank Wiegand)
|16.00-16.30||— coffee break —|
|Dictionary Portals and their Users|
Chair: Robert Lew
|16.30-16.50||Designing and Developing the Slovenian Dictionary Portal Fran|
(Andrej Perdih & Janoš Ježovnik)
|16.50-17.10||Towards an integrated Dictionary Portal: the Dictionary of the Bulgarian Language|
(Svetla Koeva & Ivelina Stoyanova)
|17.10-17.30||Discussion and round-up|
|17.30-18.00||LingHub as a possible type of portal for finding information about dictionary resources|
|9:00-9:10||Introductory, appointing minutes secretary, wrap up and pick up from joint WG1+WG3 session (Robert Lew, Bob Boelhouwer)|
|9:10-9:30||Added value of Dictionary Portals (Bob Boelhouwer, Hindrik Sijens, Anne|
|9:30-9:50||Orthographic lexicography and its aspects in online dictionary portals (Tomislav Stojanov)|
|9:50-10:10||Dictionary Inventory: update, developments, discussion (Anne Dykstra)|
|10:10-11:00||Overview of WG1 objectives and going forward: Brainstorming on future WG1 activity and meetings (Robert Lew, Bob Boelhouwer)|
|11:00-11:30||— coffee break —|
|11:30-12:30||European Dictionary Portal: update, developments, discussion (Michal Boleslav Měchura)|
Call for papers (CLOSED)
Topic: Online Dictionaries, Dictionary Portals and their Users.
We are especially interested in papers that discuss:
- Methods to analyse dictionary use and dictionary portal use and their users
- Contexts of Dictionary Use / Contexts of the Use of Dictionary Portals (cf. Müller-Spitzer, Carolin (2014): Using online dictionaries, Berlin/Boston, de Gruyter.)
- User contributions to Online Dictionaries and Dictionary Portals (cf. Abel and Meyer, 2013)
- Case studies in Designing and Developing Dictionary Portals focusing on the User
The selection will be made by the organisers based on topic relevance and quality. Additionally, accepted papers will also be made available through the ENeL website as the deliverable of the meeting.
Length: 1000-1500 words (references not included),
Stylesheet: ELEX-style-guide but with length adjusted to 1000-1500 words and WITHOUT abstract. https://elex.link/elex2015/instructions-for-authors/
Format: MS Word, PDF, Latex
Deadline: 11 January 2016
Notification of acceptance: January 15 2016
Place/date of the meeting: Barcelona (March 31st 2016)
Accepted papers qualify for reimbursement.
SURVEY ON ONLINE DICTIONARIES, DICTIONARY PORTALS AND THEIR USERS
The aim of this survey is to learn about user research in the different lexicographical projects that are represented in ENeL (WG1 and WG3). We would like to find out what methods are used to study user behaviour and which types of user contributions are used in the different projects.
Deadline for completing the survey was 27 November 2015.
The survey can be accessed here: https://www.1ka.si/a/75373
We kindly ask you to read the instructions below carefully before you start:
- Completing the survey will take about 15 minutes.
- All members of Working Group 1 are required to fill in the survey. Completing the survey is the first requirement to qualify for reimbursement for the next meeting. The second requirement will be to have a paper accepted for presentation at the meeting. The call for papers will be out at the end of November.
- Completing the survey will most likely require input from different people within your institution, i.e. computational linguists, corpus linguists, software engineers, lexicographers. We suggest that you collaborate and complete one survey per institution.
- We recommend that one survey is completed per project. Thus if your institute works on several projects, please complete a separate survey for each of them.
- A PDF of the entire survey can be found here (http://www.elexicography.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ENeL_SurveyOnlineDictionaryUse.pdf). This can help if you want to familiarise yourself with the questions first.
- If you have questions BEFORE, DURING or AFTER you fill in the survey, do contact WG1 Chair (Robert Lew) or WG3 Vice-Chair (Carole Tiberius).
- Deadline for completing the survey is 27 November 2015.