ENeL TRAINING SCHOOL 2017
The Lexical and Phraseological Landscape: Old Boundaries, New Beginnings
Date and Location: Waterford, Ireland, 7-9 June 2017
Organiser: Dr Chris Mulhall
THE CALL HAS NOW CLOSED!
Aim of the Training School
The aim of the training school is to focus on lexicological and lexicographical issues pertaining to the compilation and design of dictionaries. This seeks to address concepts from the lexical properties of words and phrases and how they can be best represented in a dictionary using both historical and modern viewpoints through the use and support of technology.
Topics and Events
- Origins and relationship of words through their Etymological and Morphological characteristics;
- Current problems in the design and content of Bilingual Dictionaries;
- Technological tools supporting the Lexicological and Lexicographical categorization;
- Presentation of Student Research and Round Table Discussion on Lexicography.
|Wednesday 7 June
|Lecture 1: Etymology
Lecture 2: Morphological Roots
|Research Poster and Presentation Session (Thesis in 3)
|Thursday 8 June
|Lecture 4: Bilingual Lexicography
Lecture 5: Metalexicography
|Round Table Discussion on Lexicography
|Friday 9 June
|Lecture 7: Dictionaries and Delexical Verbs
|Closing of Training School
Dr Philip Durkin, Oxford University Press
Dr Yvonne Luther, Göttingen Academy of Sciences and Humanities
Professor Carla Marello, Università di Torino
Dr Chris Mulhall, Waterford Institute of Technology
Dr Nathalie Mederake, Göttingen Academy of Sciences and Humanities
Professor Alina Villalva, Universidade de Lisboa
Professor Geoffrey Williams, Université de Grenoble
Dr Steve Wright, University of Lancaster
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
1 Who can apply?
The training school is addressed to students, PhDs, Post-Docs, Early Stage Researchers and Advanced Researchers who want to take advantage of the innovative and interdisciplinary character of the school. We expect students of various backgrounds and especially those who are participating in or starting to participate in traditional and modern projects within lexicography and/or lexicology
ECTs (European Credit Transfer) will be offered for a report that the participants will need to submit after the training school. The report will be graded by the training team
To support their participation in the Training School, the applicants can be reimbursed according to the COST Action guidelines.
- The final grant amount will be confirmed in due course, and will be an average of 500 €, depending on the country of the trainees and on budgetary considerations.
- Prior to the Training School, each trainee will receive a grant letter stipulating the fixed amount of his or her grant. Trainee Grants do not necessarily cover all expenses related to attending the Training School. The Trainee Grant is a contribution to the overall travel, accommodation and meal expenses of the Grantee.
- The grant for each trainee will be paid after the completion of the Training School and subject to their full attendance at the Training School.
4 How to apply?
Applications should contain the following:
1. A brief CV (with the indication of the date of receipt of the PhD or other higher degrees).
2. A short motivation letter (not more than one page) describing your dictionary project, including a brief statement of how your contribution to your project may be enhanced by participation in the Training School.
If you are interested in participating, please send your application via e-mail to, Rute Costa (email@example.com), Chris Mulhall (firstname.lastname@example.org), Geoffrey Williams (email@example.com) and Alina Villalva (firstname.lastname@example.org) and use the subject line: “Application COST WG4 Training School 2017”. Ensure to include all of the above email addresses in your application email.
Deadline for application
The deadline for the submission of applications is 18:00 CET on 28 March 2017. The notification of acceptance or rejection will be sent by 7 April 2017 at the latest.
Applications will be selected by a panel that consists of the following persons:
• Rute Costa, Training School Manager
• Chris Mulhall, WG4 Member & Training School Organiser, Landlex co-founder
• Geoffrey Williams, WG4 Member, Landlex co-founder
• Alina Villalva, WG4 Member, Landlex co-founder
The selection will be confirmed by the Management Committee.